Senior Housing

Currently, applications for Senior Housing is closed.

To qualify you must be:

  • 62 years of age or older
  • Disabled or handicapped (receiving Social Security benefits, Pensions or Wages)

When applying for housing you must bring:

  • Photo Identification
  • Proof of income for all household members
  • Birth Certificates for all household members (translated into English)
  • Valid Social Security Cards for all household members
  • Permanent Resident Card or Certificate of Naturalization (head of household must have one or the other if applicable)
  • Landlord’s name and address
  • Doctor’s name and address

Once the application has been completed, a staff member will review the application for eligibility; the applicant will be notified in writing as to acceptability of the application or denial of the application within ten (10) business days.  If the application is accepted, the applicant’s name will be placed on an existing waiting list.

There is a two (2) to four (4) year waiting list for the senior apartments.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q.        Can an application be mailed?
A.       Yes, however applications must be returned in person.

 Q.        Can I apply if I do not reside in Garfield?
A.        Yes, you do not have to be a resident of Garfield to apply, but Garfield residents have first preference.

Q.        Is there an application fee?
A.        No, there are no application fees.

Q.        Do I have to pay a security deposit?
A.        Yes, the security deposit is equal to one month’s rent.

Q.        Do I pay my own utilities?
A.        The Housing Authority pays utilities for all of their developments with the exception of one senior building, which requires the resident to pay an electric bill.  A utility allowance is granted to those who live in that building.  

Q.        Are residents allowed to have pets?
A.        Residents are permitted to have a dog or cat restricted to a specific size and weight class.  A pet security deposit is required (as explained in our Pet Policy).

Q.        Can my children or grandchildren live with me?
A.        No, only seniors can reside in the building.

Q.        Can I have a vehicle?
A.        Yes.